The Irish Culture Club of Delaware’s popular St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Hooley will return to Downtown Wilmington on Saturday, March 12.
The event was canceled in 2020 and 2021 because of the pandemic.
“The Irish have a long, proud history in Wilmington dating back centuries, and the community continues to thrive to this day,” said Wilmington Mayor Mike Purzycki.
“We’re eager to once again welcome families, neighbors, and friends from around the city, state, and region to our thriving Downtown district for the parade and party atmosphere,” he said. “And while here, please take time to patronize our many other local attractions and restaurants.”
The free, family-friendly parade kicks off at 4th and King Streets in downtown Wilmington beginning at 12 p.m. on Saturday.
Floats, marching bands, dancers and more will proceed up King Street, continue past the Parade Grandstand at Rodney Square and end near 14th Street where the Post-Parade Hooley will be held.
The Parade is expected to take about one hour and the Hooley will end no later than 3 p.m.
Alcohol and food will be sold at the Hooley along with the Irish Culture Club’s annual commemorative beer mugs.
Commemorative mugs cost $20 and come with unlimited refills until the beer runs dry.
Road closures associated with the event will begin at 11 a.m. and continue until about 4 p.m.
Roadway closures are as follows:
- King Street from East 2nd Street to East 15th Street
- East 4th Street from Walnut to Shipley Street
- East 8th Street from Walnut to Market Street
- 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Streets, from King to Market Street
- 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th Streets, from French to Market Street
- Southbound vehicular traffic on North Market Street will also be diverted to North Park Drive – West 18th Street prior to the Market Street Bridge
Parking is prohibited during the Parade on the following streets:
- 10th Street, from North King Street to North Shipley Street
- On the unit block of East 11th Street, between North Market Street and North King Street
- North Shipley Street, from 4th Street to 5th Street
DART will be detouring buses around the Parade route. Check their website for more information.
Share this Post