For the second year in a row, DART will have a spring Stuff The Bus food drive, to support the Food Bank of Delaware as COVID-19 continues to create a greater need for food assistance.
Stuff the Bus, which for decades has invited people to donate food items at Thanksgiving, expanded to a spring drive last year when hundreds of thousands of people lost their jobs as the pandemic began and many businesses closed, at least for a time.
Recent drive-thru pantries have been more heavily attended than organizers expected after demand seemed to drop last fall, a sign that the economy hasn’t bounced back for some.
“DART is excited to give back to the community with a spring Stuff The Bus food drive, supporting the Food Bank of Delaware, especially during this time of greater need,” said Patty Boyd, DART spokeswoman. “We’re proud to again partner with the Safeway and ShopRite stores in support of this worthwhile event. (Chris Kenny of ShopRite owns Delaware Live).
If you want to help, DART has five sites planned for the last week of April:
- Monday, April 26: Safeway, 19283 Coastal Highway, Rehoboth, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 27: Safeway, 190 John Hunn Brown Rd., Dover, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. (Corner of S. Bay Rd. at S. Little Creek Road)
- Wednesday, April 28: ShopRite of First State Plaza, 1600 W. Newport Pike, Stanton, 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- Thursday, April 29: ShopRite of Four Seasons, 700 Plaza Drive, Newark, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Friday, April 30: ShopRite of Brandywine Commons, 1300 Rocky Run Parkway, Wilmington, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
For more information on donating food, contact the Food Bank at 302-292-1305, or go to their website.
Betsy Price is a Wilmington freelance writer who has 40 years of experience.
Share this Post