Gov. John Carney on Monday signed an executive order creating a retraining and redeployment program to help Delaware workers and their families who have lost jobs and income because of COVID-19.
Executive order No. 43, which Carney signed on a Facebook Live Monday morning, will be funded with federal CARES Act money.
The Rapid Workforce Training and Redeployment Training Initiative was one of the suggestions made last week by the Pandemic Resurgence Advisory Committee, which released its interim report Friday.
The workforce development program will initially be funded with $10 million of federal CARES Act funding. Investments in workforce
“All Delawareans have made sacrifices during this COVID-19 crisis. Some have made more than others,” Carney said. But they still have to pay bills.
“This new workforce development program will help provide workers with the skills they need to get back in the workforce quickly, earn a living, and support their families,” he said.
Under Governor Carney’s order, the Delaware Department of Labor will work with the Delaware Workforce Development Board to establish approved training and certification programs for unemployed and underemployed Delawareans. Training will focus on in-demand occupations and skills currently demanded in Delaware workplaces.
“The business community across Delaware has been engaged and supportive of this important workforce development program,” said Gary Stockbridge, chairman of the Delaware Workforce Development Board. “We are ready to support its implementation and are ready to connect businesses in immediate need of skilled workers with individuals going through the training programs to ensure we get Delawareans back to work with good paying jobs as quickly as possible.”