Bucs Double Knotted





By Kevin Eickman

This has been a tough year for the Milford girls soccer team. While this young group of players have been getting to know each other, weather has caused problems with the practice schedule and the schedule has not always been kind to them.

This past week Milford traveled up to face Delaware Military Academy. The Seahawks entered the game with a 6-2 record and presented a tough task for a Milford team that has just one win on the season. Milford would strike first however as sophomore Patty Delva opened the scoring in just the game’s eighth minute. Milford would end the half holding that same 1-0 lead.

Milford would catch a tough break early in the second half as an attempted clear fell right to the feet of Seahawk senior Danielle Wiercyski, who promptly deposited it in the back of the Milford goal to square the match. “That’s a tough way to give up a goal, but those are the breaks that you have to deal with when you play this game,” said coach Keith Short. Both teams played conservative the rest of the game resulting in a 1-1 tie.

Milford would host Indian River on Thursday, yet another team with a winning record. The Buccaneers turned in a spirited performance on this cold and windy spring day. Milford would once again take the early lead in the game as sophomore Gabrielle Renzi would get the opener at the 16 minute mark of the first half. Milford would make that one goal lead stand up as the teams entered the half.


To start the second half Indian River turned up the pressure, attempting to square the match. Milford looked to be holding their own, when disaster struck. A foul by Milford allowed Indian River to set up 30 yards from the Milford goal with a free quick opportunity. Indian River put the ball towards the top of the box and as a Buccaneer defender tried to clear it, the ball traveled off her head directly into the Milford net. It was a tough way to give up an equalizer.

“When you play this game long enough, those things just happen sometimes,” Short commented. “It’s not the way you want to give up a goal, but I was real proud of the way the team responded.”

Milford responded with an offensive flurry resulting in several quality chances. Indian River had packed the box on defense however, making it tough for the Buccaneers to find room in the box. Wave after wave of the Milford attack was turned away by the stout defenders from Indian River.

“You have to give Indian River a lot of credit, they made it very tough for us to find any space in their third of the field,” Short said.

The game stayed tied for the remainder of regulation and overtime. Resulting in Milford’s second 1-1 tie of the week. “While we didn’t lose this week, we would have like to have gotten a win,” Short continued “The big thing we took out of this week is how we are playing better as a team. I think we took a big step this week.”

The 1-4-2 Buccaneers will be off until April 29 when they host an 8-2 Caesar Rodney team at 5:30 pm.

Want to Know How to Advertise on Delaware Live?

Want to Know How to Advertise on Delaware Live?